Skip to main content

Full text of "Old Bellshill in pictures"

See other formats


Old Will 




in Pictures 



by Jack Fisher 



M1IH111JIIH1I 





•w" Ausaw up 




• .vi.fa' 








t _» 




D 




f 




o 



is <L — la 




rt mi 



VJ3 







IT© 




Jack Fisher 



>A/ A -$ttM/ 




Motherwell Leisure 



First Published in 1995 by 

Motherwell Leisure 

Motherwell District Council 

PO Box 1 4 

Civic Centre 

Motherwell 

ML1 ITW 



ISBN 0903207451 

© lack Fisher 
1995 

All rights reserved 



Printed By Lawn & Miller Limited 



TKDPPCTE© 



The photographs contained in this book have been selected for their individual interest, and as such are not meant to represent a 
pictorial history of the development of Bellshill. However, a brief account of the town's history may help to put the images into 
perspective and so further the reader's enjoyment and understanding of these pictures. 

The present town of Bellshill stands upon land originally owned by the Crown until 1 135 when David Olifard, a godson of King 
David I, relinquished his estate in Herefordshire in exchange for all the lands between the North and South Calder Waters. Their 
allotted area, which ran from the west side of Uddingston to the boundary of the Lothians, was presided over from their seat in the 
1 2th Century tower house of Orbiston until 1 242 . The tower house was situated at the present site of the No. I green on Bellshill Golf 
Course. 

The estate was taken over by the de Moray family who are known to have lived in Bothwell Castle in 1 278. They later donated the 
estate to Bothwell church in the 1 4th Century; the church in turn granted it by charter to the Hamilton family of Orbiston. Eventually, 
due to a lack of an heir the seat came to rest with the Hamilton family of Dalzell in Motherwell. 

The name Bellshill first appears on the Timothy Pont map of 1 654 as 'Belmill'. The original village of Bellshill, situated at the east 
end of Viewpark, was formed from a row of quarry workers' houses belonging to a Mr Bell who owned the stone quarry that lay south 
of the village. With the demise of the quarry works the original village of Bellshill died away and a neighbouring village called 
Crossgates (situated at what we now know as Bellshill Cross) became the focal point of the local area. In about 1810 this growing 
village itself took on the name of Bellshill, and in its expansion gradually absorbed surrounding villages such as Black Moss and 
Sykehead. 

In its early years Bellshill's principal industry was agriculture, though the town also boasted a modest weaving industry, a pickle 
factory and four clay tile works. With the arrival of coal and iron in the 1830s came a mass influx of immigrant workers, who settled 
into the town and formed close knit communities. Many of them turned to the mining industry which provided much of the work in 
the area. At this time a number of mining villages were established, to accommodate the thriving workforce. This practice continued 
until the 1920s when economic conditions forced the mining industry into a period of decline. The Great Depression of the 1930s 



consolidated the problems with the result that most of the pits finally closed. It was the iron industry, however, that was to become 
the primary source of employment in Bellshill and such an essential ingredient in the town's well-being. Three malleable iron works 
were erected between 1 839 and 1 872, and the Mossend Jron Works became known as the largest in Scotland. After the introduction 
of steel manufacturing in 1 880 productivity at the works increased, until eventually during World War One they were employing 3 ,000 
workers, a huge percentage of the local workforce. The Clydesdale Works, which opened in 1 870. also provided a living for thousands 
of workers over the decades, and was the oldest surviving plant when it finally closed in 1 99 1 . 

The legacy of such closures has been the high rate of unemployment suffered by the people of Lanarkshire in recent years . 
Today, Bellshill has a significant employment problem in its population of 22,000 but hope can be found in the construction of 
industrial estates and locally based initiatives such as Strathclyde Business Park, Eurocentral Scotland Freight Terminal at Mossend 
and Motherwell Food Park, all of which are helping to create fresh opportunities for the local residents. 

The photographs in this book hope to capture the spirit and character of Bellshill. rather than detail very clearly its social and 
geographical development over a fifty year period dating from the turn of the century. What the modern reader can hope to gain from 
this book is a fresh and enlightening view of a seemingly familiar place, and a deep sense of its fascinating history. 



->» 4 •— H- 



In dedication to my wife Elizabeth and family, 
lack Fisher 



-t>* 5 *-&- 



Jtf ' 




Calder Bridge. Beltehi/I. 



A 1910 VIEW OF THE OLD CALDER BRIDGE 



On the left a night of steps lead up to the area of the Golf Club; these steps were known as the Lady Walk or White Walk and can still 
be seen today. Next to the steps we see the old Clyde Valley electricity sub-stat/on. which has since been demolished. The bridge 
itself, however, still stands today, and dates from the early part of the 1 9th Century. 



-*>-> 7 *— H- 




A CLOSER VIEW OF THE OLD CALDER BRIDGE, c. 1 9 1 



Better known to locals as the Holmford Bridge, the structure was deemedtoo narrow and unsafe for the motor car era. Subsequently, 
a new, stronger bridge was built between Bellshill and Motherwell by Leggat of Barrhead in 1927, to cope with the demands of 
modern day traffic. 




A 1 920s VIEW OF THE CALDER ROAD AND RIVER 



On the left we see Milnwood Cottage, the home of William Pollock, toll keeper and miller at Brigbrae Corn Mill. In the foreground runs 
a small waterway that entered the Calder River, known locally as Carr Dyke. Behind the Tollkeeper's home stand the Brigbrae Farm 
Cottages which are no longer there. Milnwood Cottage itself was demolished when the new Calder Bridge was built. 



-t>- 9 *-<!- 




THE OLD MILL c. 1900 



This mill was situated next to the Holmford Bridge on the Bellshill to Motherwell Road. Though originally a flax mill, it later operated 
as a blackening mill, a barrow-making plant and a factory, and served as part of Orbiston community as a foundry and sawmill. The 
mill finally became an ice factor,' before being demolished. 



if —^ 




BELLSHILL GOLF CLUB IN THE 1 930s 



The club was founded in May 1 905 with just 60 members; ground on the Orbiston Estate was leased and a nine hole course opened 
three weeks later. Further ground was obtained on lease in 1919, allowing the layout of another nine holes. Following further 
success, the present day club house (featured in the picture) was opened in September 1925. The club has since gone from strength 
to strength, with approximately 600 present day members. 



-»>* I I «H- 




AN EDWARDIAN VIEW OF THE ORBISTON VIADUCT. ALSO KNOWN AS BABYLON BRIDGE 



Dating from 1849. the viaduct is still standing today. The name 'Babylon' derives from the nearby ill fated 19th Century Orbiston 
socialist settlement set up and financed by Archibald I Hamilton and Abraham Combe. The Community was based on Robert 
Owen's socialist principles and the intention was to create a Utopian type settlement About 1 20 people were accepted into the 
Community without discrimination but after some initial success squabbles broke out and the experiment degenerated totally. Wild 
parties took place on the sabbath, and fighting, drinking and debauchery gradually became a way of life; not surprisingly, the 
inhabitants came to be known as Babylonians on account of their dissolute behaviour. In 1827, after only three years, the project 
collapsed, and the buildings were razed to the ground. The experiment had been a complete failure. 



12 *-H- 




TARRY HOUSE 



A very unusual type of house construction in that it is made of old railway sleepers and weather proofed with roofing felt and tar. It 
is located on the old Toll house site on a section of the old Coatbridge Road just north of the present day large maternity hospital. 
Owing to numerous attacks by vandals it is no longer occupied. 



-H-* n «H- 




A 1 930 PICTURE OF BELLSHILL CRICKET CLUB. WINNERS OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND UNION CHAMPIONSHIP 



The team played their home matches on a site close to where Cardinal Newman High School is today, called "Locket Yet", until the 
Club went out of existence in March 1958. Among the players in the picture are I McClimens, I Brackenridge and H Scott. The picture 
was taken at McMoran's Studio, Hattonrigg Road. 



14 




A PRE WORLD WAR I VIEW OF THE ESTABLISHED CHURCH, BETTER KNOWN TODAY AS THE WEST CHURCH 



At a meeting in April 1 875 the minister of the parish of Bothwell, the Rev John Pagan, decided that a new church and manse should 
be built at the west end of the town and the Established Church, as it was then known, was opened on 30 December 1877. 
Somewhat confusedly, it was geographically situated further west than the already existing West Church, which had stood at Bellshill 
Cross since 1846. Finally, in 1929, the original church relinquished its 'West' title and became St Andrew's, and the Established 
Church took on its present day title. 



-*>* 15 *o- 




THE OLD BLACKMOSS AREA AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY 



Among the shops on the left are a baker's and a tea room. The three storey building on the right is the Bellshill and Mossend Co-op 
Society Store, which was destroyed by fire some years ago. Next is Mr Ferguson's Red Lion Ale House, which was to become the 
town's first Post Office. Behind that stands Dirilton Place, which was built on the site of the Old Toll House. 



-f>* 16 ■>—*- 




THE OLD BLACKMOSS AREA AGAIN LOOKING TOWARDS THE CROSS c. 1 900 



On the right in the distance is the Swan Inn followed by the three storey building known as Eglington's building. The small building 
arrowed was known as Craig's of the Inns or Blackmoss Stage Coach Inn and was tenanted by lohn and lanet Craig. The near hand 
buildings were originally houses and later the ground floor became shops. The left side of the street contained small cottages and 
shops. As far back as 1755 houses were standing at Blackmoss. This area is unrecognisable today, the Swan Inn being the only 
building to survive. 



-<>» 17 «*- 




THE OLD WEST CHURCH PICTURED c. 1905 



The church, which is situated near the Cross, is better known today as 
St Andrew's Church. It was built on the site of the Old Blackmoss 
Relief Church in 1846, and stood undisturbed until the church spire 
was struck by lightning around 1865 and crashed through the roof. 
The church, known locally as The Toll Kirk' was also damaged by fire 
in 1941 and not repaired until 1950, after the Second World War. 



~o- 




THE CROSS IN THE I890S 



The church halls on the left were built from the sale of part of Glebe Lands to the Caledonian Railway Co. In the distance we see 
smoke coming from the Mossend Malleable Iron Works, which were erected in 1839 by William Neilson. 



■O* 19 »«a- 




THE CROSS AGAIN AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY 



The small building on the right opposite the three storey building is Bob Marshall's bakery shop. This shop had one window facing 
Main Street and another facing Hamilton Road, and Mr Marshall himself gained the distinction of winning the Diamond lubilee 
Trophy for the best bread in Scotland. The wall adjacent to the bakery shop became a local meeting place during the summer for 
mine workers. 



-t>* 20 i-H- 




A TURN OF THE CENTURY VIEW LOOKING TOWARDS THE CROSS 



On the left is the entrance to the old West Church, followed by the two storey church halls. The ground floor had a paper shop and 
hairdressers, and a library was also run from these halls. Behind them stands Kilpatrick's Public House, and the two storey building 
known as Dirilton Place is on the right of the picture. 



-O- 21 *-«- 



wines I CHARLES KILPATM 




A SPLENDID VIEW OF CHARLES KILPATRiCKS PUBLIC HOUSE AT THE CROSS. TAKEN AROUND 1 890 



The pub dated from around 1865. and Mr Kilpatrick resided at Rosemount Cottage. Both the pub and the West Church halls were 
demolished to allow for the widening of the North Road. When work actually started on the road some graves from the churchyard 
were exhumed and had to be transferred to Bothwell Park and Holytown Cemeteries. 



-O- 22 *-=)- 




THE TOLL HOUSE IN THE 1 890s 



The Toll House was situated at the corner of Main Street and South Street. In its heyday the toll was a whitewashed building with 
white gates across the main road and also across the North Road to prevent traffic getting through without paying. There was later 
a public weighing machine here. Mrs Greig collected the tolls, until toll charges were abolished by an Act of Parliament in 1 884. 



23 




THE CROSS BEFORE THE OUTBREAK OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR 



On the right we see that the old Toll House has been replaced. Bob Marshall's Bakery on the opposite side of the road has been 
replaced by Harrison Brothers the Tailors. Harrison Brothers took over from Fairfields Stores Ltd. The buildings that housed Harrison's 
are known as the Cross Mansion. 



-H-* 24 *-*- 




A FIRST 



HIRE OF WILLIAM AUSTIN AND HIS BAKERY WORKERS 



Austin's was situated at the top of the North Road near the Cross. Next to Mr Austin's Bakery was "The Quarry Green", the site of an 
old brickworks clay quarry, and a place where local housewives found water to do their washing. Mr Austin claimed the 'Green' as his 
own and built a fence around it for drying clothes etc. During Queen Victoria's Diamond lubilee Celebrations in 1 897 the irate locals, 
resentful of such effrontery, lit a bonfire and the fence and clothes poles were consumed by flames as the locals took back possession 
of the "The Quarry Green". Mr Austin's bakery and "The Quarry Green" have since been replaced by a car park and public toilets. 



25 




BELLSHILL PUBLIC SCHOOL SITUATED ON THE NORTH ROAD c. 1905 



The school was built on the site of Bellshill Subscription School and opened in March 1 873 with 48 pupils. The first headmaster from 
1873 to 1924 was Alexander lohn Noble, known affectionately by the children at the school as 'Wee Shinty Noble'. The school 
subsequently became known as Noble School, and remained so until it was demolished in 1973. 



26 




A 1934 CLASS OF THE NOBLE SCHOOL 



Among the pupils in the picture are (back row) Jack Fisher, (second back row) teacher, Miss Ferguson. (Middle row) Nan Bryson, 
(second front rowl Daphne Burns lones and (front row) Tom McNeil. 



-o* 27 *^- 




SCOTT'S COACHBUILDERS c. 1895 



The works were founded in 1877 by Archibald Scott. Mr Scoit was also an architect and was responsible for the architecture of a 
number of buildings in the Bellshill area. The gig in the picture was for Mr Rankin of Mossend. 



28 



A TURN OF THE CENTURY VIEW OF THE BLACKSMITH AT 
SCOTT COACHBUILDERS 

The photographer was E Taylor of Union Street, 
Mossend. Scott's coaches, buses, cars, butcher vans 
and even ice cream vans went all over the world to 
places as far as Nigeria. Barbados and Norway. 




•O- 29 —St- 




A 1 930s VIEW OF SCOTTS COACHBUILDERS 



The works were situated on the North Road. Archibald Scott originally came to the district as a joiner and built Windsor Place at 
Bellshill Cross before starting a business in old style coach building. From these coaches his business gradually expanded into the 
automobile industry, where he met with great success. Today a 'Cash and Carry' stands on the site of Scott's. 



-t>* 30 




THE NORTH ROAD AROUND 1935 TAKEN FROM THE OBSOLETE HATTONRIGG PIT RAILWAY BRIDGE 



In the picture we see a wooden telephone booth. The shop on the corner is No.5 Branch of Bellshill and Mossend Co-op, consisting 
of a dairy and grocery department. A horse drawn Co-op baker's van can be seen, driven by Mr Tweedie and the lorry at the front is 
Price's Coal Lorry. On the left two men are speaking; one of them is Mr Sam Arnott, local window cleaner, and opposite the men 
Tony Coia is leaning on his ice cream barrow speaking to Bob Smellie. Bob Smellie was a partner in Hattonrigg Farm. The little boy 
coming out of the Co-op on his trike is lack Fisher. This view remains similar today. 



-O- 31 »«H- 




A VIEW OF THE COUNTY HOSPITAL TAKEN AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY 



More commonly known as the Fever Hospital, this hospital dated from the 1870s. Originally used for the nursing of patients with 
infectious diseases such as Enteric Fever, it was also used for wounded soldiers during the First World War. Although some of the 
buildings in the picture are still standing the view today is very different. The present Bellshill Maternity Hospital was built on the left 
hand side of the buildings and was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth in luly 1962. 



-o-* 32 —a- 





THE MAIN STREET c 1895 



This part of the Main Street was part of the original Crossgates village of Orbiston Estate. On the left we see the Cross Restaurant 
which previously had been the Cross Bar, a public house. Today this view is very similar; only the small two storey building between 
the larger buildings on the left has gone. Most of these structures were built in the 1 880s. 



33 




1 930s VIEW OF TEMPLETON'S SHOP AT THE CROSS 



Templeton's was one of the early dairy produce stores, dealing in assorted dairy goods. Its manager was David McAllister, a local 
man who lived at Beechwood Gardens, Mossend. He retired in 1938, after serving in the shop for thirty eight years. 



■»* 34 -O- 




A WORLD WAR 1 VIEW LOOKING TOWARDS THE CROSS 



On the left we see the sign for the Billiard Hall and behind it the Cross Cafe, followed by Harrison Brothers the Tailors. We also see 
that Charles Kilpatrick's pub, on the right, has been taken over by William Campbell. From the turn of the century until the 1 970s 
there were around forty public houses in the Bellshill and Mossend area, a huge number in relation to the size of the town. 



35 




THE MAIN STREET AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY 



On the left is Crown Place, where Crown Bar is situated. Crown Place is next to the last whitewashed thatched cottages of Crossgates 
village, now gone. On the right - hand side of the street we see Donaldson the Tailors and William Hogg's Butcher shop, Mr 
Donaldson's wife and child can be seen, as well as Mr William Hogg who is standing next to the pony. William Hogg was a poet and 
had a book of poems published under the title "That Heilan Coo". 



•*>* 36 «a- 




THE MAIN STREET IN THE 1 920s 



This picture was taken from the junction of the Motherwell Road. This was the wide entrance to the main gate and gatehouse of the 
1 2th Century Orbiston Estate; both sides of the entry had broad and lovely flower beds The gatehouse stood where the present day 
registry office is situated. 



37 



i m 





•^571 




THE LIBRARY AND HEALTH CLINIC BUILDING PICTURED SHORTLY AFTER IT WAS OPENED IN 1 939 



The right hand door formed the clinic entrance and through the left hand door lay the steps to the library, which was situated on the 
upper floor. The building still stands to this day, but the library now operates from the Cultural Centre in lohn Street. Before the 
structure was built in 1 939, the site was occupied by a very old two storey building known as the "Black Land". 



-o» 38 +o- 




! I 








*? 




-■o> 



! ~~* -Mil 






'.! 


liii 


! 


l||l 



BELLSHILL ACADEMY c 1898 



The School opened in 1898 with 322 pupils, 8 teachers and 2 pupil teachers; the first Rector was Alexander Donaldson MA. The 
school was built on the site of a cottage owned by a Mr Hogg, who was the owner of a building at the West End known as "Hogg's 
Land". In the picture we can see a Co-op bakery van and part of lames Munroe's cottage can also be seen. Mr Munroe was Manager 
of the Hattonrigg Colliery and was known as "Bawbee lamie"! 



-t>» 39 *<t- 





- • 



BELLSHILL ACADEMY PICTURED IN 1 908 



We see the higher grade building under construction, which was opened in the following year, [909. Mr Munroe's cottage has been 
removed to make way for the developments. The pupils in the picture are ready to go on an outing; note the two boys with hampers 
on their heads. 



-o* 40 *«H- 



BELLSHILL AND MOSSEND WAR MEMORIAL 



The Memorial situated in front of Bellshill Academy was unveiled by 
Colonel Buchanan in September 1 92 1 to an estimated crowd of 3,000 
Music was provided by the pipe bands of the Cameronians. The grey 
granite statue was made by Scott & Rae of Glasgow and 272 names 
were originally inscribed around its base. 




-*>» 41 *-£- 




A VIEW OF BELLSHILL AND MOSSEND CO-OP 



New central premises were built in 1 9 1 1 consisting of a fish shop, grocery, ironmongers and a clothing and shoe department. It was 
said to be the finest building in Bellshill and carried on business until around 1 980. The Co-operative building is still in use today and 
among the current businesses are a hairdressers and a restaurant. Bellshill Academy can be seen in the background. 



*-» 42 *0- 




A VIEW OF CO-OPERATIVE BUILDINGS LOOKING TOWARDS MOSSEND 



The two storey buildings next to the Co-op were removed some years ago; a Salvation Army Hall and a couple of bungalows stand 
in the Gladstone Street area today. This postcard was published by I A Gallacher. Stationers of Bellshill. 



43 




BELLSHILL ATHLETIC FOOTBALL TEAM c. 1936 



Founded in 1 897 and based at Brandon Park since 1 903. Seven of the team in the picture played in the final of the 1 936-37 Evening 
News Cup against Scottish junior Cup Winners, Benburb, where they lost 3-1 after a replay. The crowd for the two games at Firhill 
reached an impressive 1 7,000. The Bellshill area has produced many fine footballers over the years including top internationalists 
Alex lames, Hughie Gallagher, Billy McNeil and limmy lohnstone, as well as the legendary Manchester United manager Sir Matt 
Busby. 



.!.: 




BELLSHILL EAST UNITED FREE CHURCH TAKEN IN |9|0 



.ftTrh. f r onfnally known as Bellshill Free Church. From 1 900 until 1 9 1 2 it became known as the East United Free Church 

after the un.on o Free Churches and the Church of Scotland, but was finally named the McDonald Memorial in commemoration of 
the founder of the church, the Rev William McDonald. Rev McDonald was affectionately known as "Reekie Willie" as he ed to 
smoke a pipe. The church and the manse still stand today. «™e wime as ne liked to 



-l>» 45 *— a- 




v4tl. ''*&**# 



THE DRY BRIG 



Known as the Dry Brig, it served the entrances of two estates. (Boggs front entry, and Orbiston rear entry). Both were entered from 
one mutual entrance on the East side of the Bogg's Brae Road. The entry road split just west of the bridge, the Bogg's entry was over 
the bridge, while the Orbiston rear entry road veered south then headed north to pass under the bridge. 



-0» 46 •— H- 







A GROUP OF BELLSHILL LITHUANIAN MINERS c. 1 9 1 



Note their "Scots Bunnets" and head lamps, their clay smoking pipes and, part of their "graith" (or working gear), their picks and 
shovels; they also used a drill to bore holes to place explosives. Lithuanians came to the area as far back as 1 860 as Prisoners of War 
from the Crimea: they came to escape poverty and persecution, Lithuania being part of the then troubled Russian Empire. America 
was the original goal of these emigrating people but it was cheaper to get to Scotland, and many decided to stay rather than go on. 
By 1900 there was an estimated 3,000 in Bothwell parish with many settling in Bellshill and Mossend; at the time this picture was 
taken there were around 200 Lithuanian families living in the miners' rows behind Main Street. Today there is still a strong Lithuanian 
Community in the area and there is a Lithuanian Club situated on the Caider Road. 



-*>» 47 *o- 




A 1 905 VIEW INSIDE THE HOLY FAMILY ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, CALDER ROAD, MOSSEND 



The view is very similar today, with the exception of the pulpit on the left which was removed around 1 968. With the shortage of work 
in the Chapelhall area many Catholic families moved to the Bellshill and Mossend area; Mossend was then chosen as the most 
suitable place for a new mission. A chapel school was built in 1 868 to seat 500, dedicated to the Holy Family and this later became 
the Parochial Hall. The Chapel was opened by Archbishop Eyre in November 1 884. 



■O- 48 *<*- 




THE HOLY FAMILY CHURCH PICTURED AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY LOOKING TOWARDS CHAPEL STREET 

Today this view is unchanged. The church stands on the west side of the Calder Road at Mossend Cross. Historically the church has 
always had a close affiliation with the Lithuanian community and in the past Lithuanian priests were brought over to serve there. 



-(>■* 49 *kk 




BEU5HILL CALEDONIAN RAILWAY STATION AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CENTURY 



We see the booking office and the waiting rooms, which were made of timber, on both sides of the lines. There was also a wooden 
stairway up to the platform from Hamilton Road. The gentleman on the left nearest the line is Tern Maxwell, Master Baker, with a 
supply of his goods. The station itself was opened in 1878 and the timber waiting rooms and booking office lasted well into the 
1920s In 1925 a local dignitary said that the station was an eyesore and resembled a cattle depot. Shortly after this, modern 
buildings, with long ramped entrances, were erected in a central location on the platforms. 



-*>» 50 *-e- 




A 1 9 1 VIEW OF THE LATER CROSSGATES AREA TAKEN FROM THE CALEDONIAN RAILWAY BRIDGE 

On the left we see a cottage that stands to this day, and behind it stands a two storey building which was once converted into a 
public house. Mr Walter Neilson, a local architect, applied twice for a licence but was refused and the building had to be converted 
back to its original state; the building was removed some years ago. Next comes "The Strathallan Bar," and past the building on the 
far comer of Hamilton Road we reach the Railway Bridge that led to Orbiston Colliery, both of which are now gone. Under the bridge 
can be seen the weavers' cottages, dating from the 1 780s. In a comer next to the trees stood a cast iron street urinal that dated from 
the 1 8th Century; this was removed in the 1 930s. 



-o* 51 *^- 




A 1920s PICTURE OF THE MOSSEND BRANCH OF THE BELLSHILL SPEAKER 

The Branch Office, which is now gone, was situated near Mossend 
Cross. William Combe first opened the shop selling newspapers, 
tobacco, etc but later set up his own printing business in Bellshill 
Main Street and shortly after the Bellsfiill Speaker was founded. The 
paper was first published in October 1892 as a monthly paper. One 
hundred years later the paper is still going strong, now as a weekly 
publication. 



-o* 52 —a- 




MOSSEND CROSS c 1910 WITH CALDER ROAD ON THE RIGHT 



Today this view is unrecognisable. In the foreground stands the Evangelical Church, popularly known as the Tin Church, which was 
later taken over by the Lithuanian community. Behind that we see the Pavilion Theatre, which later became the Regal Picture House 
followed by a two storey building which housed both the Mossend Post Office and Mrs Lament's Sweet Shop, and finally the single 
storey houses. All are now gone. The area depicted in this photograph comprised the original Muiremadzine village. 



-t>* 53 —S- 




AN 1 890s VIEW OF MOSSEND CROSS LOOKING TOWARDS HOLYTOWN 



The houses in the picture were built to accommodate the workers of the Neilson Family's Malleable Iron Works, built at Mossend in 
1 839. The houses on the right of the picture were old and sub standard and were used by the works' labour force. The houses on the 
left, however, were of a higher quality, and were given for use by the tradesmen and foremen at the works. William Beardmore and 
Company took over from the Neilsons in 1906. Both the works and the houses are now gone. 



-o» 54 —a- 




A VIEW OF HAMILTON ROAD LOOKING TOWARDS THE NORTH ROAD 



Among the shops on the right are a fishmongers, T M Anderson's Newsagents and Hairdressing salon, and a restaurant. On the left 
is the Auld Hoose Pub and Miller & Co Funeral Undertakers. This view of the Hamilton Road is similar today. 



55 




890s HAMILTON ROAD AGAIN, FROM THE CROSS ON THE RIGHT 



On the right we have Bob Marshall's Bakery, followed by a row of cottages and a two storey building where Mr Harvie had his funeral 
business. The cottage at the corner where Neilson Street is today was occupied by loseph Blair, an Elder at the Old West Church. This 
is followed by the two storey building which still stands today among the modern shops and which at the time housed a butchers, 
a shoe shop and a public house. On the left we see the Railway Hotel with the girl leaning against the wall, followed by cottages, one 
of which was home to Tarn Boag, a well known local fiddler. These are followed by the two storey buildings which remain to the 
present day and lead right back to the Cross. 



■$m+ 56 *-H- 




4 r mam 

LOOKING NORTH AGAIN A PICTURE OF HAMILTON ROAD, BELLSHILL IN THE LATE 1 9TH CENTURY 



The picture was taken from the Bellshill Caledonian Railway Bridge and this actual postcard was posted by loe Syson, a Bellshili 
ironmonger. The only buildings standing today are the two storey building on the right nearest to the camera and the two double 
storey buildings on the left side near the Cross. 



57 




THE HAMILTON ROAD LOOKING NORTH c. 1 905 



The building opposite the Strathallan in the foreground was said to be the oldest building in the town, dating from the 1 8th century. 
It was removed only a few years ago. The Strathallan Public House is a fine red sandstone building of 1 899 that stands to this day; 
before its construction the site was occupied by a dairy. 



-*>■* 58 *-H- 




BELVIDERE PUBLIC SCHOOL c. 1912 



The School was built by Bruce and Hay of Glasgow at a cost of £9,745 and was opened in August 1911. The first Headmaster was Mr 
John Deas. who came from Uddingston Grammar. Between them Mr Deas and seven other teachers had to teach 343 children. 
Belvidere Primary School, as it is known today, stands on Belvidere Road, which was originally known as "the Luggie Road". A "luggie" 
was an old Scottish milking pail, and the road became so known because certain of its buildings were thought to resemble structurally 
such a pail. 



59 *«H- 




BELLSHJLL FJRE BRIGADE TAKEN IN 1 9 1 4 



The Fire Station, situated at the corner of Main Street and Thorn Road, was built in 19 1 [ , and all existing fire equipment was moved 
there from Uddingston. The building stands to this day and is used as a police barracks. The Fire Brigade moved to a new building on 
the Old Edinburgh Road in 1 974. 



■&* 60 ■>— ^ 




A 1 930s PICTURE OF THE BELLSHILL MINERS WELFARE BILLIARDS TEAM 



This picture was taken at the front of the Miners Welfare. The Welfare was opened in April 1925 by Mr lohn Robertson MP and later 
in the same year Oswald Emald Mosley, the controversial MP who stood for all the major parties, gave a speech to the assembled 
members and received a standing ovation. Some years later Mosley became a fascist who was sympathetic towards Hitler. 







A PICTURE OF THE PREMISES OF I HAMILTON, PAINTER & DECORATOR, AND D MCLEOD, CHIMNEY SWEEP, SITUATED IN THE MOTHERWELL ROAD 

Mr McLeod, the local chimney sweep (pictured in the centre), was a well known face in Bellshill during his working years; he was often 
to be seen riding around the area on his bicycle (pictured) laden down with his chimney brush and rods, which he secured in a heavy 
canvas wrap. Upon his retirement, his business was carried on successfully by his son. 



-o* 62 *■*- 




THE BAPTIST CHURCH IN NEILSON STREET c. 191 5 



This was an off-shoot of Motherwell Baptist Church, and was founded in 1 893. The first church, pictured at the back of the present 
day one, was built in 1 900. The present church was opened in 1 9 1 0, at a cost of £2,000. On the left of the picture we see the footpath 
leading to the Caledonian Railway Station. The man approaching the Church gates is Duncan McLeod, the local chimney sweep in 
the area. 



63 -*- 




HAMILTON ROAD LOOKING TOWARDS THE CROSS AND NORTH ROAD, c. 1905 



The pub at the Cross and the buildings on the left side of North Road were removed to widen it. The North Road buildings in the 
picture were built with the stones from the building of the Orbiston Community experiment. Donald Nicholson's Dairy was also here. 
Mr Nicholson's cows grazed on the fields which are now Giebe Street. 



<t>* 64 »-a- 



ifigtherwell